Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Bob Roberts - Texican!
Texas has always felt that change. It is a conglomeration of many peoples. First, there were the Tejas Indians, then came the Tejano's--Texans of Spanish descent, of whom we joined forces with Anglo settlers to win Texas Independence. We called ourselves Texians after the Republic of Texas was formed in 1836, and to Anglicize it we began to call ourselves Texans after the Civil War. Now things are changing again--and have been--we're just talking about it now.
A few months ago, Texas changed. For the first time, there is no single majority of one race. Thus, we should call ourselves Texicans! It respects the Indian heritage, the Spanish and Anglos, as well as the newer Mexicans who are of many lines of Hispanic descent. In a few years, the majority of Texas population will be Hispanic. Who can't admire the Mexican immigrants that come here to work? They have much to teach us. They aren't too good to do anything. They work hard. Most are kind and good-hearted people. If you speak to them and smile "Buenos Dios" they are always quick to smile back. Don't kid yourself, if they were to all pack up and leave today, our work force and economy would be a wreck. Most people don't realize how deep they are within our economy--its much more than just farm hands, but construction workers, factory workers, cooks--they're deep everywhere.
I like a lot of what they've brought to the table culturally. I love to listen to Tejano music. My favorite food is Mexican food, and it shows! Some bring color to the neighborhood in how they paint their houses.
It's time to address this issue. It's broke and needs to be fixed and it is in our own self-interest to do so. Why?
Security. There's never been a time in history where we needed tighter borders than today with all the terrorist threats, etc. Trying to rely only on hiring more border guards is simply not going to work. To stem the tide you are going to have to go beyond guards and allow some to come easier so that it will be less desirable for people to come illegally. If communities are given a "quota" of how many can come and it's legal--if then it's violated and their quota is suspended--it will serve as incentive for locals in Mexico to control their own.
Economics. I just don't know who we're kidding. I saw a news special on a dairy farmer in Wisconsin who has a relationship with a village in Mexico and who, when interviewed, said if it weren't for them, he would have to close down his diary that's been open for generations.
Cultural influence. The Irish, Germans, Italians, Africans, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Mexicans all have left good marks on our nation. For fitting into a world that is less white and very anti-American, Hispanics make good U.S. citizens in representing more than an Anglo culture.
Social responsibility. They need jobs. They're asking for work, not a handout--this is our next door neighbor. If we provide work permits and special provisions for people who are screened and then easier ways of becoming U.S. citizens for those that contribute, it will be to our advantage for our future in this global world. Not all Mexicans want to live here--they just want to work here. Most U.S. citizens have a wrong view of Mexico as well. There is a huge middle class there, what we see are the poor who can't break into the middle class. If these jobs can help them, and we can help Mexico by development, it's better for Mexico and better for the U.S.
Neighbor relations. They live next door. It's like a mansion next door to an old dilapidated RV that someone lives in and neither can move. You can flaunt your stuff if you want or you can share it and treat your neighbor with respect. Your decision is going to go a long way in how they respond to you and whether they rob you or respect you.
I supposedly have ancestors that died in the Alamo, they fought side by side with Tejano's, Tejas Indians, and yes even a few thousand Mexicans! Many who came to Texas came for a second chance because they blew it somewhere else. These were the Anglos. As a Christian, why in God's name am I going to go half-way around the world, or to Mexico and try to be a blessing to people there, but stiff arm them when I see them here. Something is wrong with my faith if that's my response.
What does it say about a person's character, integrity, who are willing to break the laws, by-pass procedures to live in this country?
You know as well as I know, that if someone is willing to break laws and disregard them to enter the country, they are willing to break laws and disregard them once they are in the country-- and do so while smiling to your face.
It also means they don't respect our laws, nor our leadership. The Bible clearly states that God has set our(not just the US) leaders in their positions.
It also means our laws are also to be upheld and obeyed. Not all, but some people like your farm friend more than likely only cares about their profits. They want the help because its cheap labor, what's that say about those who hire them.. it means they disrespect them and quiet possibly greedy.
What I hear you saying is that its ok to rebel against the laws of this country? That its ok to disregard the leadership and its authority? Isn't that rebellion\witchcraft\sin?
The facts are that we need to figure out how to help, but we also need to enforce our laws and people wanting to enter the country need to follow the legal procedures to do so. Mexican people should not have to leave their homes in Mexico to survive, and maybe if most weren't worshiping Mary instead of Jesus they wouldn't have a problem to begin with.
I'm not advocating breaking laws, I am advocating changing them. We don't have the manpower to stop the flow, we can control it by allowing people in legally who are here anyhow - screening, etc. allows us to reject who needs to be rejected.
Not all laws are right, when wrong should be changed. To say we can't question them and have to blindly obey - well, we wouldn't have a U.S. from 1776 like we do today - would we?
Our world is global - it seems like we are not. We "got" global economics but that's about it. We can't get along in the world and there is massive anti-American sentiment. If we can't even get along with our next door neighbors - what does that say.
Keep in mind - a lot of people in the U.S. pray to Mary - if that logic were consistent - we'll we'd be in the same mess. I don't pray to Mary - I'm protestant - but you shouldn't attack someones religion because of politics.
Anne - if all the illegal's pack up and leave today - you're life is going to change and cost you far more, than what you're paying today.
Who wants laws broken? I don't - I want them changed.
You said, "I don't pray to Mary - I'm protestant - but you shouldn't attack someones religion because of politics."
I'm not attacking it, I'm merely pointing out, people want the blessing God has brought on America but don't want the God. We forget that our politics was founded on God's principals and when we (as is happening) remove those principals we have setup politics as our god. We can look throughout history and see, especially in biblical history, how God blesses those who worship Him and what happens to nations who are in disobedience and rebellion. So I'm not attacking anyone's religion, but if anyone wants to setup their own gods and worship them God will leave it to their gods to save them. The US is not far in my opinion. As a whole we're still primarily Christian, we have a Christian president but a little leaven... upcoming elections and the popular demonstrate how America will stand on those principals. I'm not a politician though nor do I claim to be, I only try and filter this through prayer and do what I believe God wants me to do about it.
My question...
Where is the Church in this? If the Church would really rise up, we could impact the world and bring change. We ARE the most powerful group in the world. We need to rise up and quit depending upon our government to save us, our government to feed us, our government to keep us safe, our government to take care of us when we're old.
So I leave you with this thought...
[ Proverbs 24: 3-6 ]
3 Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:
4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.
6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.
[ Proverbs 24:30-34 ]
30 I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding;
31 And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down.
32 Then I saw, and considered it well: I looked upon it, and received instruction.
33 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
34 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man."
and this question, " How do we as the Church come together as the most powerful group on Earth and influence and allow God to bring change?" Our fight is not with flesh and blood.
Wake up Church!
What if Jesus didn't help us? Where would we be? (I think in a VERY WARM ENVIRONMENT !)
<< Home


